...Our amazing life...

My photo
We met in June of 2007, dated for 7 months & got engaged - January 1, 2008. We were married on July 26, 2008 and welcomed our daughter, Kaitlynn Leane into the world on August 20, 2009. We said hello & goodbye to our precious son, baby Joshua on December 5, 2011. We are blessed knowing that we'll be with him again one day in Heaven. We also have two sweet beagles, Willa (4) and Sadie (1). God has truly blessed our family in numerous ways! We both have extremely wonderful and loving parents, plus amazing friends! We couldn't be any happier!

Saturday, June 20, 2009

A/C Unit Adventure

Many of you already know our story, but some of you have yet to hear....

Two weeks ago our AC slowly stopped cooling & I started researching for companies to come out & service/fix our unit. We had someone from CoolRay come that morning - located the problem - said our coils were dirty & we were extremely low on freon (sp?). He cleaned the coils, added freon, and we were then $160 down the drain.

The added freon seemed to help for about a week. Thankfully, God allowed the weather to stay in the 70's & gave us plenty of clouds & rain during that week. Our house at the time remained around 73*-77* F, which is considered normal for most homes! However this week, our home has slowly progressed back to it's normal state of enjoyment - 80-90* F day & night.

Wednesday night (6-17-09) Kelly & I went out on a search for a portable air conditioning unit. We went to two Wal-Marts, & Sears. We finally found one at Sears, but we didn't want to "rush" our decision since it was $600. We headed to Wendy's for a quick, LATE dinner since it was 8:30pm, and headed back home. Our house was around 87* when we got home. We took showers to cool down, and waiting for our unit to slowly drop to 82* F before we headed to bed.

Thursday morning after my check-up with Dr. Walters, Kelly & I went to Costco where we found our portable AC unit for $450 - we were sold! We brought it home and Kelly began putting it together. Around 3:00pm our thermostat already read 86* and our unit finally kicked in and started working. However, it was already too hot in our home for our sweet, portable AC unit to fully function. We stuck it out, had our bible study that night in our home, and tried to get some rest later that night. Around 10:30pm, I told Kelly I couldn't handle it anymore and that we needed to call CoolRay back and have them come out again without paying an additional service charge. I got my wish, and they came out - however, it wasn't until 1:00AM that they rang our doorbell :) I LOVE late nights!! HAHA, that's a joke! The technician looked inside our home & outside and finally told us our compressor pump was completely damaged and would need to be fixed. We found out the cost for our small 2-ton unit was going to cost us $2,000. I about threw up in my mouth at this point. I emailed my mother-in-law to vent & mentioned that I would rather purchase a new home (very expenesive) than to fix a pump. It was late, and I'm pregnant - that explains my crazy thought process. Anyways, needless to say - I was upset! After the technician left, Kelly sat down and emailed our HOA to find out if they would reimburse us at all to have this fixed. He also wrote a letter to the Board - this was a must in order to have them even consider reimbursing us. CRAZY!

We made it through what was left of Thursday evening with our ceiling fan on high, 2 additional fans blowing, plus our portable AC unit pushing air in our bedroom - we slept for about 3 hours. Let's just say we were exhausted Friday morning when we got up to start working on our problem again at 6:30AM.

Kelly began calling CoolRay to discuss different options - to replace our entire 2-ton unit was going to cost us a good $4,000-$5,000 from their company. Plus in 6-months the brand was getting discontinued & replaced so if something happened over the next 12-18 months we would be up-a-creek. We ended up calling another company to get an additional quote after our lesson-learned with our refrigerator. We called Casteel Heating & Air. OMG - I fell in love! One of the workers explained to us that the $2,000 price to fix just our compressor was completely overpriced. He asked to come out immediately to look at our AC unit - we of course accepted his kind offer & he was there within 30 minutes. After looking at our unit, going back to his office branch - we got a call explaining that we could REPLACE our entire AC unit for $2,000. Kelly & I both were so very happy at this point and said "Let's do it!!" A few minutes later we received an email saying we were approved to finance this purchase. When we thought we were going to spend around $5,000 Kelly immediately filled out the form to see if that would be possible. We're still planning on financing the cost, but at least we're only financing $2,000 and not $5,000!! That was the best blessing from God that Kelly & I could have received yesterday afternoon.

After accepting the offer & saying "yes" to a completely new AC unit - a TRANE nontheless- we found out the quickest this could take place would be Tuesday. I was not too happy about the idea, but was thrilled with anticipation of getting an AC unit that would work! Around 11:00am, Kelly tried to lay down and get some more rest, but that lasted maybe 30 minutes. We fixed lunch, and watched some of the US Open to just relax. Around 4:00, I looked at Kelly & started crying. I explained to him that the past two days were absolutely miserable and that I couldn't do it anymore - we had to get out of our home one way or another.

The problem = we were having Grandmother June down for the weekend. Her birthday is Sunday & she would see my dad for Father's Day.

Around 5:00PM, an hour later with our home thermostat reading at 99* F INSIDE, we made the decision to leave our home, got on the phone & called my brother, Mark who was meeting us in Commerce early the next morning with my grandmother - called Grandmother June, my dad, and my mom in Greenville. It took us 10 minutes to pack our bags, grab Willa's things and get into our amazingly cool AC car.

5:30PM - we had a "cleaned-out" dog, a packed car, and we were on the road in rush hour traffic to Greenville, SC. It took us an extra hour to get to my mom's house last night, but it seemed as though we were in the car for only an hour. Kelly, Willa & I were so happy to be somewhere cold that we didn't think about 285-rush hour traffic and we just cruised on by with the rest of Atlanta.

As of this morning - Saturday - we have a very relaxing weekend ahead of us spending time together in my mom's COLD home!! She works this weekend, so Kelly & I will be able to just relax and spend some time together. We're heading to my brother's house tonight to have dinner with them. We're also spending tomorrow with my grandmother for her birthday, here in Greenville. I truly hate we couldn't have her down - she was really excited about staying in the nursery & spending time with us in our home. However, Kelly & I are making the trip and bringing her down to Atlanta in the next two weeks once we have everything settled with our AC unit. We're planning on staying in Greenville until mid-afternoon on Monday. We'll leave, head to our hot house - grab a few things & our additional car, and drive to my dad's house in Powder Springs. We are staying with him Monday night. Kelly has to leave early Tuesday morning for a day-trip to Valdosta, GA and I will be awaiting a phone call for our new unit to arrive. However, I will be relaxing in my dad's home until I get that phone call. No worries - I am planning on letting them in and staying OUT of my home for the following few hours!!

We will update you on Tuesday once we have our new, cold, AC unit in our home!!

1 comment:

  1. 99 inside!? Oh my goodness...I am so glad you guys left. Hopefully Tuesday will go smoothly and you'll be in a nice cool condo. Sending frigid thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete